Synopsis of Book
Approaching Humanity is my sixth book of poetry (eighth book overall). The book is about how we are all human, we are flawed, imperfect, and we make mistakes. But at the end of the day we have to pick ourselves up, help others when needed, and keep moving on
Why I wrote it
I had originally intended my sixth book of poetry to be a book of poems I had written between 2010 and 2013 that did not go in my previous books because they did not fit the theme to said books. As I was putting this book together I realized how bad of an idea this was and chose to start from scratch.
Two of the poems I had written in the early stages were “Porcelain” and “The Only One” and I felt they could be in the same book. After writing seven more poems for the book I decided this book was about the humanity of us all and eventually named it Approaching Humanity
What I want readers to get out of this book
One of the biggest things I tend to write about is that no matter what you go through you are never alone. Either someone else is going through the same thing or there is someone who is willing to help you when the help is needed
I wrote this book as an emotional journey of one accepting their weaknesses as well as their strengths. I start off the book with “Flawed” because I feel it describes humanity as a whole. The book gradually gets darker until it hits rock bottom with “To the Brain” then begins to shed light with “Seeking Clarity” and the positive influences are throughout the second half until the book reaches its conclusion with “Road to Recovery” which is telling the reader it’s time to get back up, yes you will fall again but getting back up is always what matters most.
Other interesting facts about book
· One thing that helped shape this book were the quotes I scattered throughout the book, the main one was the quote from Batman Begins it says “Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up” I feel that is the biggest point I want to get across in this book
· I started work on this book in June 2011 and completed everything in January 2013, this is the longest amount of time I have worked on a single book.
· Two of the quotes from the book came from two friends of mine; Haley Johnson and Criss Jami. I am currently editing Haley’s first novel and Criss has two poetry books of his own out with the most recent being Venus in Arms
· The cover was illustrated by Mary Bolling, the cover was completed a year ago and she also did the cover to my last book Wretched Scars and will be illustrating the cover to my next book Escape my Dreams
· This book features 50 poems the most poems I’ve ever put in a poetry book
· The poem “The Only One” was originally an unreleased poem I did called “Now that You’re Gone” I felt the latter was too personal and altered it into “The Only One” I have since released “Now that You’re Gone” in the anthology Burning Thoughts and Flooding Ideas
· The most personal poems to me in this book are “Mirror Emotions” “Restored” and “One Mistake (Infinite Loop)”